Re: FreeEMS - Open Source Motorsteuergerät

Beitrag von Bastigb10 »

What about CAN?
Sebastian Knödler Technologie
http://www.breitband-lambda.de
Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

No CAN yet, nothing to attach to it either, and no protocol developed. That's something for the future. Lots of things for the now left to do :-)
Fred Cooke, creator of FreeEMS - The open source engine management system! Number of installs! (with graph)

Also the founder of DIYEFI.org - The Do It Yourself Engine Control Community! Forum available here!
Bastigb10

Beitrag von Bastigb10 »

Oh, OK. I'm working on a Knock-Sensing Solution for MS but it needs details from the ECU. MS delivers them over CAN.
Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

I can assure you of one thing, the protocol will not be the same as theirs. It's ugly, like most everything else they do.
Fred Cooke, creator of FreeEMS - The open source engine management system! Number of installs! (with graph)

Also the founder of DIYEFI.org - The Do It Yourself Engine Control Community! Forum available here!
Bastigb10

Beitrag von Bastigb10 »

Ugly...yeah maybe. But stable and not "under construction". Hope you can do some fast progress with your FreeEMS :)
Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

I imagine that the first FreeEMS CAN impl will be the standard CAN protocol as found in most cars. After that we'll look at whether a custom protocol is needed, or not.

Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

In any case, don't get too excited, no users, only testers, for the foreseeable future. Most features are missing on purpose. This is sound software engineering practice.

Zodl

Beitrag von Zodl »

@Fred:
I found your project some time ago but until now I never read too much about it and there was no time to start something new.
But I had a similar idea like "tooly" for MS (btw great Motronic mod :D ) for my kdFi. This was also one of the main reasons why the kdFi V1.4 is a module which can be replaced. What do you think about a small pin compatible test batch of this PCB:
http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-1-4.html
with your chip and software.
Unfortunately I still have problems to handle all mails and questions there is not the very best support right now. So I can not do much in developing software but I could test it on several cars in my garage and if it works I would love the idea to give the kdFi users a option.
There is a good relation to "Bastibg10" who did the development of his lambdacontroller which is integrated in the V1.4 and working VERY well.
Standard CAN would be great. Maybe it could deliver information e.g. for automatic transmission, electric throttle body... like stock ecu does. (of course muuuch later)
I think with some "not self soldering" hardware the community could grow much faster.
Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

Zodl hat geschrieben:What do you think about a small pin compatible test batch of this PCB: http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-1-4.html with your chip and software.
Mixed feelings. Partly because you've been screwing those M$ bastards. I hate them, don't get me wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right. Partly because all hardware is subject to change right now. You could build a board tomorrow, sell 10 to people, then I change the firmware, and those owners are screwed and stuck on old firmware or stuck forking that firmware or stuck upgrading to new hardware. Each and every board design thus far was against my wishes. I said "no, don't do it" and they said "I don't care" and did it anyway. If/when I change the pin out etc, I won't be responsible for what that means to any current user. You, tooly, Ari, Andy, Dan, Marcos, and others will be. You've all been warned.
So I can not do much in developing software but I could test it on several cars in my garage and if it works I would love the idea to give the kdFi users a option.
That's OK. I've put a LOT of time into helping various people with dev, only to be disappointed in most cases. I'm not keen to have any help from outside of a small group of trusted, high-quality, generous individuals for the foreseeable future. No help required :-)
There is a good relation to "Bastibg10" who did the development of his lambdacontroller which is integrated in the V1.4 and working VERY well.
Such a relationship would necessarily be on a volunteer basis if you choose to use the FreeEMS code base as it is, under GPL V3. I would welcome any donations and I virtually require (I can't legally, but I think it's a fair moral request) some hardware from every batch sent my way. In future endorsements of hardware will be on a paid basis. IE, if it meets certain standards then I will say it meets them, but getting me to check that will cost something. Who knows what. It would be wonderful if a bunch of hardware guys selling boards funded me either partially or wholly through a cut of their profits. But it's just a dream, for now.
Standard CAN would be great. Maybe it could deliver information e.g. for automatic transmission, electric throttle body... like stock ecu does. (of course muuuch later)
Yes, one day.
I think with some "not self soldering" hardware the community could grow much faster.
It seems as though you think the hardware is somehow limiting the system, that's not the case. There is an entire infrastructure developing around FreeEMS and none of it is close to ready. I've been intentionally driving people away as much as possible for years while I try to organise it and make improvements and assist new testers getting setup.

Finally, with respect to selling boards for profit, my number one priority right now is to ensure that those people who have put the hard work into developing the standards and benchmarks for what good FreeEMS hardware should look like should profit from it, and not other people who show up late in the game. I can't prevent anyone from making hardware and selling it, and I don't really want to, but I do want to see those who have worked hard in the past profit first and foremost.

I hope that clears it up. In short: wait.

Fred.

Zodl

Beitrag von Zodl »

Thanks
-> PN
Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

BTW, for those who speak enough English to understand me speaking fast, here is my presentation from Warsaw, Poland, a few days ago:

https://vimeo.com/75697548

Comments welcome :-)

Fred.

Alfagta

Beitrag von Alfagta »

Fearless hat geschrieben:BTW, for those who speak enough English to understand me speaking fast, here is my presentation from Warsaw, Poland, a few days ago:

https://vimeo.com/75697548

Comments welcome :-)

Fred.
Nice Video.
Wer aufhört besser zu werden hat aufgehört gut zu sein
Alfa 156 GTA
Alfa 75 Race Car MS III
Alfa 164 V6 Turbo
Test MS II
Tunerstudio V3.0.60.61 Registered
MLog View V4.3.30 Registered
MLog View HD V4.3.30 Registered
pigga

Beitrag von pigga »

Great Video! Coding with the EEE on top of the empire states building... :mrgreen:
Alfagta

Beitrag von Alfagta »

Hallo,

wie siehts nun aus mit dem Adapter für die MS2 V3.0?
Hat es schon jemand am laufen?

Gruß
Wer aufhört besser zu werden hat aufgehört gut zu sein
Alfa 156 GTA
Alfa 75 Race Car MS III
Alfa 164 V6 Turbo
Test MS II
Tunerstudio V3.0.60.61 Registered
MLog View V4.3.30 Registered
MLog View HD V4.3.30 Registered
Fearless

Beitrag von Fearless »

He hasn't posted in the FreeEMS vehicles section, so I assume he hasn't run anything. I doubt he'd run anything without at least a little bit of help, anyway. It's intentionally difficult right now, and will stay that way for at least 6 months or so.

Antworten